Company Formation Hungary hotline: +36 30 220 1100

Social Security Administration in Hungary

What is a social security number?

The social security number, or as it is called in Hungary, the TAJ (Társadalombiztosítási Azonosító Jel) is the verification code for the healthcare, social, social security and other private pension system.

As your TAJ can identify you, it is count as a personal data. It is also a special data because the social security number on it is connected to personal healthcare information. Due to the previously mentioned, it is also part of the national data asset.

Parts of the social security card

In Hungary, people get a social security card with their social security number. The number on the social security card consists of 9 digits and it contains the following information:

  • Name
  • The name which you were given when you were born
  • Birth date and location
  • Name of your mother
  • TAJ number
  • The date of the issuance of the certificate

How does social security works in Hungary?

The social security system in Hungary is managed by the state. However, there are several private institutions, such as private hospitals or emdical centers. It means, that in the case someone needs a social security service, for example; going to teh doctor, smaller operation, etc., than he/she can use it without any additional fees

The fee that Hungarians pay for TAJ is 9600 huf per month, which is around 20€. It is free for students and those whose workplace cowers it for them.

Benefits of the social security system

The social security benefits have to be required. The organization who is in charge of social security related tasks is obliged to inform the insured persons who turn to her about their rights and obligations and to help them enforce their claims.

As part of the social security system, the following services can be required:

  • Sickness and financial aid
  • Family allowance
  • Retirement pension
  • Accident care

For the social security benefits, not only the insured are eligible, but also some of their relatives, for instance: children.

Why do you need a social security number?

The reason why a Hungarian citizens need a social security number in Hungary is because in case of any accidents, or in the need of the above mentioned services, the social security number is required. Without it, a fee has to be paid.

For people, who are from the European Union, it is enough if they have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). However, it only covers issues regarding health, it is not eligible to ask for a retirement pension or family allowance. This is mainly advised for those who do not wish to become a Hungarian citizen, just spend some time there.

How can you get a social security number?

If you would like to have a TAJ in Hungary, then a form has to be filled out and brought to the social security office which is the closest to your home (the place that is on your residence card). 

Besides this form, there is a need for a card which can identify you, such as your ID card, drivers license or passport. Your residence card, or another document which is able to identify your residence/location is also needed. In special cases, different documents are required too.

There is also a way to do the process by post. In this case, you have to send the form, the signed copy of the above mentioned documents, and the certificate of the payment of the administrative fee.. You will get your card by post too if you choose this way.

When do you have to be registered in the social security system?

You must be registered in the Social Security System if you are:

  • an employee at a Hungarian company - your employer will deduct it from your gross salary and send it to the Tax Authority
  • you are self-employed
  • you are an owner and managing director (at the same time) 

You need a social security number from National Health Insurance, which will be displayed on your social security card that will be reported to the Authorities. Social Security contribution then has to be paid monthly to the Tax Authorities.

Social Security Number administration Fee: 300 Euro 

FAQ for Social Security Administration in Hungary