Company Formation Hungary hotline: +36 30 220 1100

Get your Work Permit in Hungary

How to Get a Work Permit in Hungary

In order to work in Hungary, foreign nationals must generally apply for a work permit. The process of obtaining a work permit can be challenging, especially for foreigners who are new to the country and don’t speak Hungarian fluently yet.

There are several ways to obtain a work permit if you plan on living in Hungary long-term. Budapest Consulting will give you the main cornerstones in the maze of this business, called work permits!

Want to work in Hungary? By filling in the Work Permit documents correctly, we can help you to get your work permit faster.

Do you wish to work in Hungary?

Working legally in Hungary requires you meet certain criteria and apply for the appropriate work visa or permit. Below we explain how to get a work visa or permit in Hungary as well as other useful information about working here. 

Budapest Consulting is offering you:

  • Valid information
  • A step by step to do list
  • Constant email update
  • Professionalism
  • Friendly and knowledgeable specialists

Please contact us! We can give you more detailed information and possibly a single solution!

What is a Work Permit?

The work permit is a document that allows you to legally work in Hungary. In order to obtain a work permit, you must first find a job in Hungary. Once you have found a job, you can apply for a work permit at the Hungarian Immigration Office

If you have the right qualifications and experience, you should receive your work permit within three months. Once you have received your work permit, you can apply for a residence permit at the local police station where you live. Once you have received this residence permit, you can legally live and work in Hungary.

Who Needs a Work Permit in Hungary?

If you wish to work in Hungary, you will generally have to apply for a work permit. However, there are a few exceptions. 

  • Students - If you are a student and intend on remaining in Hungary for less than one year and pursuing a course of study, you do not need a work permit. 
  • Researchers - If you are a researcher, you don’t need a work permit if you will be working in the country for less than one year. 
  • Language teachers - If you are a language teacher and are legally employed in Hungary, you do not need a work permit. 
  • Individuals with special skills - If you have a special skill that is in demand in the Hungarian labour market, you can apply for a special visa that allows you to work in the country without a work permit. 

These visas are issued on a case-by-case basis, so you need to contact your local immigration office to find out if you qualify.

We are your partner, if you are:

  • Trainee
  • Employee
  • Entrepreneur
  • Job-Searcher
  • Intra-corporate Transferee

One can be employed, if

  • he/she has a seasonal work visa, or,
  • he/she has a residence permit for humanitarian purposes,
  • or if they have a residence permit for
    • employment,
    • family uniting,
    • studying, or
    • he/she has an EU Blue Card.

Applying for a Hungarian Work Visa

A work visa is an immigration permit issued by a Hungarian consular office abroad to a person who wishes to work in Hungary. Foreign nationals can apply for a work visa if they can’t apply for a work permit. 

If you wish to work in Hungary for less than 6 months, you won’t need a work visa. Instead, you will only require a short-term Schengen visa. If you wish to work in Hungary for longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for a work visa from your home country. You will also need to apply for a work permit once you arrive in Hungary. 

How to Get an EU Blue Card in Hungary

The EU Blue Card is a work permit issued to highly skilled migrant workers who wish to work in an EU member state. The EU Blue Card scheme was introduced in 2014 as part of a scheme to attract skilled migrants to Europe. 

The Blue Card scheme was implemented across all EU member states except for Hungary. However, in 2019 the Hungarian government announced that they would be joining the scheme. However, the exact date at which the scheme will come into effect hasn’t been announced yet, so for now the procedure for applying for an EU Blue Card in Hungary remains the same as applying for a work permit. 

What is the validity period of the work permit?

If you are applying for a work permit, it is valid for one year. If you renew your work permit in that time, it is valid for a further year. However, you can also apply for a residence permit at the same time. The residence permit is valid for five years, so once you have received that you can work in Hungary indefinitely. 

If you plan on living in Hungary long-term, you should apply for a work permit and residence permit as soon as you arrive in the country.

FAQ for Get Your Work Permit in Hungary